Maternal and Fetal medicine also knowns as perinatology is a branch of medicine that focuses on managing the health concerns of the mother and fetus. Our Fetal Medicine Department is equipped with two high-resolution USG machines Samsung HS 40 and one mobile Ultrasound machine. We have two Fetal Medicine Experts providing excellent care to mothers during their journey of pregnancy. High-resolution machines, Skillful Fetal Medicine Doctors, updated knowledge and good sonography technique are the pillars that give good scan results and help to diagnose fetal anomalies.
- Early pregnancy scan:- It is done at 6 to 10 weeks of pregnancy to rule out Intrauterine / Extrauterine pregnancy, the Viability of the fetus, and no.of Pregnancy
- NT scan (First Trimester scan):- It is done at 11-13.6 weeks to rule out Trisomy 21,18,13 to rule out the early fetal anomaly and for aneuploidy screening.
- Targeted imaging for fetal anomaly (TIFFA 2):- It is done at 18-22 weeks to rule out all the fetal anomalies along with aneuploidy and preeclampsia screening. Our 3D-4D machine will give you a real-time picture of the baby’s face which will be etched in your memory.
- Fetal Echo:- It is done at 22 -24 weeks as the Heart will be fully developed to scan for the cardiac anomalies in detail. It is done in some selected cases.
- Growth scan:- It is done at 32 weeks to check for Liquor, Fetal weight, position, etc.
- Doppler Scan:- It is done at 36 weeks to check for blood flow to the baby and find out IUGR baby.
Rh Negative Mother Management :-
In immunized Rh Negative mother doppler sonography of the middle cerebral artery can help to find out fetal anemia very early before other changes of fetal anemia develop.Our skillful and experienced Fetal Medicine Experts find these fetuses and save them by doing Intrauterine fetal blood transfusion.
Invasive Fetal Procedure :-
- Amniocentesis: It is the procedure by which amniotic fluid from a uterine cavity is taken to analyze it for diagnosis of genetic and metabolic disorders and infection. It is a very simple procedure that is done with local anesthesia and the risk of fetal loss is very less. It is done after 16 weeks onwards.
- Chorionic Villus sampling (CVS): By CVS placental tissue is taken with a CVS biopsy needle under Ultrasound guidance. Tissue sent for diagnosis of genetic abnormality and metabolic disorder with minimal risk of abortion / fetal loss rate. The fetal loss rate is minimally higher than Amniocentesis.It is done in 10-14 wks.
- Cordocentesis: In this procedure, fetal umbilical cord blood is withdrawn under ultrasound guidance for fetal infection, fetal blood grouping, fetal acidosis, etc.
- Multiple Fetal Reduction: It is to be done when there are multiple pregnancies like Triplets and more, or in twins if there is an abnormality in one fetus.
In this procedure, the needle is inserted into the fetal heart, and medicine is injected to stop the heart under the guidance of ultrasound.
It can be done by Radiofrequency ablation and laser cord coagulation also in case of Monochorionc multiple pregnancies,
monochorionic complications like TRAP, TTTS, etc
- Intra Uterine Fetal blood transfusion: It is done for a therapeutic purpose to correct fetal anemia in case of Rh-negative isoimmunization or fetal infection. It is done under the guidance of ultrasound.
The feeling of motherhood after delivering a baby is the most divine feeling that a woman experiences and we are here to make your journey memorable, joyful and fearless till a healthy baby comes into your lap.
Our hospital is designed to take care of women before, during, and after childbirth ensuring the mother and baby reach their full potential for health and well-being. Our team of best obstetricians, Nursing staff, and caretakers will ensure that you receive excellent care and good support especially during labor to cope with the physical and emotional challenges
1. Double marker (11-13.6 wks)
2. NIPT(non invasive prenatal test)
It is done from cell-free fetal DNA separated from
maternal blood. It is done from 9 wks to 20 wks. its
sensitivity is 99.99 % for Down’s syndrome.
3. Quadruple marker(14-20wks)
4. Carrier screening test in case of known genetic disease in a family like SMA(Spinomuscular Atrophy), DMD, Thalassemia, etc…
5. PIH risk screening (11-13.6 wks with NT scan, Uterine doppler, and Blood tests)
6. Preterm delivery risk screening(By measuring cervical the length by TVS at NT scan and uterine doppler)
Diagnostic Genetic Tests:
The followings are techniques by which we can diagnose single gene disorder, aneuploidies, metabolic disorders from
amniotic fluid, placental tissue, and products of conception.
1. FISH technique
4. array CGH
6. whole exome sequence